All the gadgets that are an essential part of our house are vulnerable to a variety of attacks. All ‘standalone’ smart devices such as lights appliances and lock introduce numerous cybersecurity risks.
- Man – in – the middle attack – It is also called as a hijack attack, where the attacker secretly relays and possibly alters the communication between the two people, who think that they are directly communicating with each other and no one interfering in between.
- Data and identity theft – It is an unauthorized usage of someone else’s identity, to gain a financial advantage. This includes using the credit card or the debit card of other people without their knowledge.
- Device hijacking – It is a method of taking control of a device by hijacking it.
- Denial of service – It is an attack in which multiple compromised computer systems attack a target, website, or other network resources, and cause a denial of service for users.
- Permanent denial of service – It is also known as ‘phishing’ that damages a hardware device to the extent it cannot be used again and the data is lost.
Securing smart homes, connecting smart home devices should be protected by a comprehensive security solution or one should take care of the following.
- Enable two-step authentication – Every website and smart devices are providing a two-step authentication process for security. It will make sure that once we log in from a device other than the one we saved, they will notify us regarding this by sending an email or an SMS.
- Disable unused features – Recording the calls without the knowledge of the user. Always check the recording settings and delete your voice recordings.
- Managing your passwords – Most of the smartphones have a default password and set up a new one.
- Upgrading to a newer version – Every gadget will become outdated with time. Upgraded technology wo=ill always have new features, fewer glitches and more advanced ways to secure the device.
- Software updates – Keeping software updated will not only save from hackers but also give you access to many new features using a virtual private network.
- Virtual Private Network – It extends a private network across a public network and allows users to send and receive data across public networks.
- Smart home device usage – The only way to ensure our privacy at home is by avoiding using devices that are connected to the internet.